Tuesday, June 9, 2015

A SENSORY PROCESSING/NEURODIVERSITY MANIFESTO

My challenges have always been social–neurological–ethical-familial, never academic. My first encounter with academic challenges came when I – in my third and final (and, finally, successful [after a year as a runaway in the East Village]) attempt at high school – landed in a struggling Quaker boarding school that accepted a lot of students with learning differences. The dean there, the man I now call “Dad,” shepherded his motley crew of misfits with infinite love and respect. Students like me who were fleeing troubled, if wealthy, families, were treated just the same as wealthy, healthy, happy-familied students, scholarship students, “learning-disabled” students, all combinations thereof...all students, period. That is to say, equality really happened under his watch.

Until I began raising my son, who happens to have some learning differences, I actually never knew that the official term for such differences is “learning disability.” You see, Dwight, our dean and my “Dad,” referred to students who learned differently from the "average" student as having...wait for it...”learning differences.” And I spent most of my life thinking that this was how everybody thought about the matter.

How much did that linguistic switch mean to those students, my friends, some of whom had felt “less-than” most of their lives because they didn’t process and/or express information in just the same way as everybody else? You can bet it meant a great deal.

G’s early life involved quite a lot of testing, always at the request of his teachers. I began early on to use different terms for many of the labels that were used by professionals for my son and, later, me. I’ve suggested -- whenever the online or in-person conversation comes up -- that we use the phrase “Sensory Processing Differences” in place of “Sensory Processing Disorder,” and people have generally agreed. I do understand that there are contexts in which a disability label may be more effective in managing our differences. However, for the sake of our selves, and our communities, and our children, I contend that the following labels need to be changed, for daily use, if not for services and adaptations (and this is by no means a comprehensive list, just getting this here manifesto going!):

Sensory Processing Disorder              to                     Sensory Processing Differences
Autism Spectrum Disorder                 to                     Autism Spectrum
Accommodations                                to                     Adaptations
Disability                                             to                     Diffability 
Disabled                                              to                     Differently-Abled

Yes, we are different. That doesn’t always make us fundamentally disordered or syndromed.

We are all different. All that difference is not the same. Some of it is MUCH harder, because this world was constructed primarily by people who are embodied and think in “normal” ways. The adaptations some of us may need are framed as “special” “services” because of the way this world is designed – and for whom – NOT BECAUSE THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH US.

Here’s an example I see as very simple and non-loaded: because of my Sensory Processing Differences, when I go into a big box store the artificial scents used in cleaners and scented candles etc. give me an instant migraine. Does this make me defective? In my humble opinion, it makes me more of a canary in a coal mine: Nobody should be breathing those chemicals...and it’s not “disordered” to know so in a very visceral way. 

Another thing about language: it’s okay to ask! There’s been so much discussion, much of it rancorous, around whether or not to use person-first language. How about using the language that the person/people in question prefer/s? I, for one, aim to use language that is respectful and egalitarian. When I speak with others, I am willing to use the language they deem respectful and egalitarian, so long as it does not demean me.

Changing the ways we talk about difference are an important step toward healing this world so that we are all included in the spectrum of equality. Although there is some weight to having “differences,” the word itself also implies variety and, in some important ways, validity. We must continue striving to speak and write in ways that are increasingly fair, as language evolves to better fit reality..

You’ll note I’ve no cute rainbow graphic for this Full Spectrum manifesto. (Please see Figure I.)


                                                    Figure I – No Cute Rainbow Graphic

...because the way we talk about stuff is serious.

Love,
Full Spectrum Mama







Welcome to the Sensory Blog Hop -- a monthly gathering of posts from sensory bloggers hosted by The Sensory Spectrum and The Jenny Evolution. Click on the links below to read stories from other bloggers about what it's like to have Sensory Processing Disorder and to raise a sensory kiddo!Want to join in on next month's Sensory Blog Hop? Click here!

12 comments:

  1. Well said! Words have such staying power, especially with kids. I also have always preferred the term learning differences to learning disabilities.

    My son just told me today about something called the "wall of shame" at his school. Apparently kids who talk in the hallways or aren't reading their book have to sit there. The term makes me shudder. We all need to think about our words and their connotations. (On a side note-he's attending a different school next year).

    Another excellent post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jessica,
    YIKES. I know you see what I mean about the power of language and how important it is to change our words as better ones arise in our vocabulary and usage. I am just stunned that your son's school would use such words???!!!
    I very much hope your son's new school next year will be more sensitive and a great fit.Take hope from us: switching schools I feel literally changed my son's life - even saved in in certain ways.
    Good luck!!!!!!!!!
    Love,
    FSM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love every single one of your posts. They change me. No more "disorder" from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you!!!!! Bit by bit...At least in how we talk to each other to start!
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete
  4. "Although there is some weight to having “differences,” the word itself also implies variety and, in some important ways, validity. "
    I love the way you put this. Validity is so important. Great post, and I am jealous you had such a great teacher/Dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Merri.
      Let's just say the bio family was a bit trickier than my "family of choice." But I've been very lucky and blessed in so many ways. Can't complain. [Except to the Complaint Department ;)]

      Delete
  5. Hey Canary in a Coal Mine --- oh my goodness how I LOVE this post. And I love the idea of differences... Sensory Processing Differences. Learning Differences. It's certainly how I see my son many days. :)

    Jennifer @ The Jenny Evolution

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. YOU (and your son, in a roundabout way) made it all happen!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE the chart you made. I couldn't agree more. As an English teacher, I take the usage of words very seriously. We all know disability and disorder have negative connotations, so why not use more positive language when discussing other's needs? Great post, Full Spectrum Mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, I teach too, and much of what I teach involves language...
      I think a key thing is that we are DEVELOPING language, and, as we do, we need to take heed, and spread the word, so to speak.
      Thanks so much, MC.

      Delete
  7. You nailed it again, great post. I love your "canary" analogy, I do believe this to be true. And, I am on board with the Full Spectrum manifesto, because this language matters. I've learned a lot along this path (still in progress), and that is one thing that I'm been trying hard to master. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all kind of bumbling along, trying to forge new language and ways of thinking that are more inclusive, but at least somewhat TOGETHER - thanks, Stay Quirky!
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete

Dear Readers, Full Spectrum Mama seeks to honor and represent a Full Spectrum of opinions. All reasonably coherent comments will be published. If you are having trouble posting a comment (for reasons I cannot figure out, most people do??!!) , please email FSM @:
jineffable@gmail.com