Tuesday, August 18, 2015

LEAN IN, SPD STYLE

Picture my physically adept daughter sitting at the dining room table. She is leaning back in her chair with her feet up on said chair. I remind her that feet are not allowed on chairs at the dinner table. She removes her feet...but somehow manages to retain the exact same lean, with an expression of utter disdain and indifference.

Now picture me sitting at a different table, working in the faculty lounge of the local community college. You will notice – but I will not, at least until my neck pain tells me something is off, several hours in – that I am sitting at an extremely awkward angle.

 
                           Figure I – Awkward and Ultimately Injurious Angle of Seatedness, Not Noticed

Those of us with sensory processing differences may find ourselves in a myriad of awkward and uncomfortable situations/positions because of our divergent vestibular and proprioceptive systems, the systems that tell us where we are in space and how our movement and body location relates to what is around us.

Whereas my daughter Z’s balance, movement, and self-awareness in space are appropriate and allow her to do things in healthy, if sometimes snotty, ways, I fear I’d be barely able to function without my many, many years of ballet and yoga.... G’s study of Tae Kwon Do has done similar remediation for his vestibular, motor, and proprioceptive functioning.

I was uncomfortable sitting there at a random angle from the table, but I am so used to feeling awkward that I didn’t even wonder why, or take steps to address my discomfort, until my neck pain began to eclipse my concentration. When the normal smells and lights and sounds of daily life hurt your brain, what’s a bit more pesky input?

Becoming aware of these goofy and discomforting phenomena is the first step in trying to devise ways in which to avoid actually harming myself. But here’s the thing: mostly, I don’t even know I am doing things “differently” until something lets me know – another person (“Hey, [FSM], why don’t you put on a sweater, since you are shivering?” “OHHHHH! Great idea!”), or actual pain...

What other things do G and I do like sitting at wide angles to tables? I don’t even know. Probably plenty! Do you know a wide-angle sitter? A curb-tripper? A walker-into-walls?

Love,
Full Spectrum Mama


Welcome to the Sensory Blog Hop -- a monthly gathering of posts from sensory bloggers hosted by The Sensory Spectrum and The Jenny Evolution. Click on the links below to read stories from other bloggers about what it's like to have Sensory Processing Disorder and to raise a sensory kiddo! Want to join in on next month's Sensory Blog Hop? Click here!


12 comments:

  1. This was an excellent post! I laughed, hard! " She removes her feet...but somehow manages to retain the exact same lean, with an expression of utter disdain and indifference." She must be a clone of my daughter...lol! My oldest son would be the one walking into walls and his twin sister (daughter about) would be the curb tripper! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - now I am cracking up too...
      What a world!
      Thanks for reading!
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete
  2. Oh I envy her leaning ability! I am a curb tripping awkward sitter as well, but I hadn't put the shoulder blade pain connection together. Thank you for enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, yes: the next time you find yourself in pain...look at where you are in space! Insight!
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete
  3. My boys lean, slouch, and slump over, especially when they're doing homework (but not when they're playing Minecraft...hmmm). The thing is, it drives me mad. I'm working on (1) making them aware of their posture (in a calm and peaceful manner) and (2) not losing my s--t. It's one day at a time over here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaaaaa - one day at a time? One MINUTE at a time here ;)
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete
  4. My SPDer son walks into walls, tables, beds, etc...or wait I'm sorry they actually hit him. He also loves to sit on his head on the couch. It makes my head and neck hurt watching him but it makes everything right for him. Thanks for the great and funny post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaaaaaa: yes: I've been known to give such offensive items (walls, tables, beds) a dirty look.
      And hey, if he feels right that way...good job all around for paying attention! Gotta work on that one myself ;)
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete
  5. Love this...this happens to me all the time. At night too, just before I sleep I realize I have shooting pains in my arms and the one is completely numb and I painfully move it and realize that because of my hyper flexibility it was over and under my head - out of it's joint- So PAINFUL- but it happens EVERY night!
    Also i am not on Facebook but would like to join this sensory hop next time...I already think I have a post....http://worldwecreate.blogspot.ca/2015/08/reflections-on-maintenance-gel-nails.html but I could possibly write another one too if its not good enough:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so relate. Every night, similar stuff...often more than once...and yes: whyyyyyyyy? I know we are both smart, thoughtful people???!!!!
      I am sure your post is wonderful, as they ALL are. They are supposed to be new btw. Maybe pm me your email and I can send you the link when we get it? My email is jineffable@gmail.com
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete
  6. oh ok new is ok...it depends on how my health is if I can write...its been doing better so that should be fine! Oh I forgot- this post may be useful to some! http://worldwecreate.blogspot.ca/2015/06/ten-comfortable-clothing-tips-for.html
    I will email

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand all too well. Got your email and will send you link as soon as it's up.
      Take care of yourself, woman!
      Said someone who needs to hear the same ;)

      Delete

Dear Readers, Full Spectrum Mama seeks to honor and represent a Full Spectrum of opinions. All reasonably coherent comments will be published. If you are having trouble posting a comment (for reasons I cannot figure out, most people do??!!) , please email FSM @:
jineffable@gmail.com